Subject: Re: Bootloader question
To: Anders Lind <swedebear@dccnet.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/29/2001 11:18:31
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Anders Lind wrote:

> I have a little question regarding the bootloader. Currently
> I am running Linux and Windows on a 40 GB box from where I boot
> Linux from a floppy, because of LILO's limit of the 1024 Cylinder...(I
> could of course upgrade it), anyway what I was gonna ask was
> if the NetBSD bootloader have any kind of same limit or if I
> could use the bootloader to load all three OS'es if I installed
> NetBSD.

I think so, but it depends on the BIOS and the OS's involved. All the
bootloader does is pass control to the Master Boot Record at the start
of the selected partition in the Master Partition Table. So if you can
boot a partition by setting it active, then the bootloader will be able
to boot it. You certainly can put NetBSD anywhere on the disk (with the
NetBSD bootcode in the MBR -- "fdisk -i"); Windows, you can't -- it uses
BIOS routines to load it's kernel; Linux, don't know.

Frederick