Subject: PCIC & NBSD 1.5.2 on NEC Ready 340T laptop
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Wayne Cuddy <wcuddy@crb-web.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/26/2001 11:55:14
I recently purchased the Wasabi 1.5.2 NetBSD release and installed it on my
laptop.  This is my 1st NetBSD release and it went smoother than expected.
Everything works with a few glitches that I would like to work out.

I rebuilt the kernel with most of the unnecessary drivers stripped out.
The problem is with my pcmcia devices.  The machine will not boot with any
pcmcia card in either of the slots (A or B).  I believe it system hangs when
the pcmcia driver for the i823XX_isa (can't remember exactly) goes to probe
for available interrupts for card socket events.  Once both cards are removed
the driver chooses to use IRQ3 and the system continues to boot.  I tried
modifying the flags on pcic to use polling mode instead, same thing happens,
it hands at boot.

Since the system boots fine without any cards in the slots I let the system
boot that way.  Now when I insert a card for the 1st time the system freezes
again.  It seems that no other interrupts are getting processed.  I pop the
card
out the system continues to operate.  When I insert the card again (2nd time)
NetBSD detects the card event and attaches the correct driver (ethernet,
modem, etc..) and all seems to work fine from there.

Am I doing something wrong, maybe a IRQ conflict or is this a known issue
with the pcic/pcmcia driver?

BTW: this OS kicks ass.

Wayne