Subject: Re: MBR not working (1.5)
To: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/23/2001 11:10:25
--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 02:49:34PM +0100, Wolfgang Solfrank wrote:
> No, it doesn't.  The MBR bootcode uses the beg cylinder/head/sector
> numbers for reading the active partition's first sector (there are
> exceptions, but they don't come into play here).  And this data
> isn't correct in your MBR.  (I've no idea how this data arrived on
> your drive, short of you entering it deliberately, (which I tend
> to doubt)).

Yeah, those are probably the only bits in fdisk and disklabel's
output I could safely twiddle that I didn't. I don't think I'd ever
even paid close attention to their existence.

(The disk got into an unbootable state after I created a disklabel
for a zip disk, sd1, by hand and then wrote it back... to the wrong
SCSI device. I managed to reconstruct the disklabel for sd0 by
reading it byte by byte, piping that through strings, and walking
though it till I came to the preserved disklabels in /var. Not too
sure why that would have zeroed the fdisk information, but it
certainly seems to have. Unless I'm forgetting some other detail of
my attempts to resurrect things which would have had this effect.)

> Anyway, try to change these values to cylinder 0, head 1, sector 1 and
> try again.  Note that unlike Anne, you don't have to reinstall the
> disklabel after that change.

=2E.. and this fixes everything!

Vielen dank, Wolfgang.

--=20