Subject: Re: Dual IDE Win2k/NetBSD box
To: beaker <beaker1119@yahoo.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/23/2001 12:00:12
On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 02:48:41PM -0800, beaker wrote:
> Greeting~
> I'm currently trying to set up a dual disk, dual boot Win2k/NetBSD box and
> am wondering what would be the best disk & partitioning arrangement given
> the following hardware:
>
> disk 1: Maxtor 7200 RPM - 30GB - Ultra ATA 100
> disk 2: Quantum Fireball lct 15 (5000 RPM) - 15 GB - Ultra ATA 66
> IDE Controllers: (2); Intel 82801AA Ultra ATA; dual FIFO
> PCI Bus: 66Mhz
> disk 3: ATAPI CDROM Drive
> disk 4: ATAPI CD R/W Drive
> RAM: 256MB PC100
> ---
> My thoughts were that, ideally, the following would work best:
>
> disk 1: master ; primary controller ; system disk => part. 1 = Win2k ;
> part.2 =*BSD
> disk 3: slave ; primary controller
> disk 2: slave ; 2nd cntrler ; users disk =>part.1 = "My Docs" ; part.2
> ="/usr" ; part.3 ="/var"
> disk 4: slave ; secondary controller

Note that the installer doesn't support installing the system on more than
one disk yet. You can do it, but you have to do it by hand.

> Practically, it seems that trying to mix CD-ROM/CD-R/W & IDE drives on the
> secondary controller causes problems (and perhaps irrelevant with dual FIFO

Did you try it ?

> controllers?), so the next best thing might be:
>
> disk 1: master ; primary controller ; system disk =>part. 1 = Win2k ; part.2
> =*BSD
> disk 2: slave    ;  "   ; users disk =>part.1= "My Docs" ; part.2 = "/usr";
> part.3 ="/var"
> disk 3: slave ; secondary controller
> disk 4: slave ; secondary controller
>
> I figure that its better to have the faster drive exclusively as the systems
> disk, no?

No necesserely, it may be good to spread the load to 2 drives, if the 2 drives
are on different channels.

Also, it's good to have the CD-RW and the drive which contains data to be
burned to CD on different channels.