Subject: Re: sleep and hibernate...
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/22/2001 23:09:29
In message <20011123075512.O17760@snark.ptc.spbu.ru>, "Valeriy E. Ushakov" writ
es:
>On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 22:35:41 -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
>> I found one hint on HP's site that you could make a hibernation
>> partition, but further reading suggests they simply mean that a
>> fresh install has enough space on C:.

>Then it looks like it should be handled by the OS (especially, since
>you wrote the Windows' logo screen is shown at dehibernation).

Yup.  So, it looks like, if this laptop is to develop a sleep mode, I'll need
to write new code for it.  The one other option is to put in a scratch drive
and play with HP's factory restore disk; it may be possible to create a
partition with that, but the only documented way to do it on any laptop
involves wiping the disk - and there's no reference to it in the docs for
the Pavilion line of notebooks.

Basically, all of the docs that refer to this say there's a BIOS option
for suspend mode; there isn't, on this machine, so I'm guessing this BIOS
doesn't really support hibernation itself, and the OS has to do the work.

-s