Subject: Re: lkm ELF symbols
To: None <wesley@cacheflow.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/07/2001 16:40:54
Wesley Chen <wesley.chen@cacheflow.com> writes:
> If this is the case, I'd like to contribute my implementation of the ELF
> symbol support for loadable kernel modules on 1.5.2. This should improve
> the debuggability of the NetBSD kernel. Woul you or someone on the
> mailing list explain to me what the process of integrating my code is,
> please?

It is quite easy. If it is small, you should probably start by
send-pr'ing the code (as patches, usually) as an an enhancement
request, and then mention in a couple of places (as you just did) that
the code exists. If it is a small thing and well written, typically
someone will simply integrate it.

If it is something big, you probably should put the code up for review
(perhaps by FTP with a mail message announcing it) and get a person
with commit privileges to integrate them.

Of course, if you start writing enough code often enough, someone will
inevitably try to convince you get commit privileges yourself...

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com