Subject: Re: NETBSD install in a working Win2k laptop
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Fernando Bitti Loureiro <fbitti@redback.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/04/2001 13:33:07
Hi Todd,

Everything performed well, thanks!

I converted partition F: to Primary but not to active. When I went to
sysinst options, I just ignored to set that NetBSD partition to active, but
anyway I can now run it perfectly (I also have a dual boot selector).

The install guide asked to set the NetBSD partition as active, but it
seemed to be an unnecessary step...

Tks!

Fernando

At 18:31 1/11/2001 -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
>On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Fernando Bitti Loureiro wrote:
>
>: C: (type NTFS) with 5757,6 MB Status = active, Primary
>: *: extended with 5749,8 MB Status = none, Primary
>: F: (type FAT) with 604,0 MB Status = none, Logical
>: D: (type NTFS) with 5145,8 MB Status = none, Logical
>:
>: The partition F: is where I plan to install NetBSD 1.4.1. I know, from the
>: installation notes, that I need to keep it as logical but convert it to an
>: Active status. I didn't find the fdisk utility under the Win2k to make this
>: change. This is the partition I want to boot with NetBSD.
>
>Logical drives in an extended partition can *not* be made Active for the
>purposes of booting.  That's why you can't find the option to set it active
>in Win2k's Drive Management console.
>
>However, since you have Partition Magic, you could convert F: to a Primary
>partition.  On x86's, disks can have up to four primary partitions (the
>Extended Partition is a primary partition containing logical drives, the "*"
>drive in your list above).  Since you really only have three areas of the
>disk holding data, you could just as well hasve three Primary partitions and
>no Extended partition.
>
>How to do this conversion from Logical to Primary depends entirely on your
>version of Partition Magic and whether you're booting the DOS floppy version
>or running it under Win2k.  Check the Partition Magic docs.  Under PMagic
>Pro 7.0 running inside Win2k, you'll find the option "Convert..." on the
>"Operations" menu to do just this.
>
>: What should I do during the install steps to avoid losing my current
>: Win2k installation and be able to boot from NetBSD also?
>
>I believe you need to install the bootselector, but don't quote me on that
>yet.  I haven't personally set up a multiboot NetBSD/Win2k system.
>
>--
>-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
>-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/

Fernando Bitti Loureiro