Subject: Re: Naive question re: source
To: Steven Sartorius <ssartor@bellatlantic.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/02/2001 11:24:30
On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Steven Sartorius wrote:

: I have a (possibly) naive question about building world from source.
: Yesterday I supped allsrc from the release-1-5 collection.  I built a kernel
: with no problems (id's itself as 1.5.3_ALPHA) and then tried a 'make build'.
: This died with the horrific message below:

: > -DFLOATING_POINT -c /usr/src/lib/libc/gen/__glob13.c
: > cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11

: Is the above indicative of a bootstrapping problem or something more
: severe?

This looks like you may have bad memory, or bad factors relating to memory
(such as overclocking, setting the memory latency values in the BIOS too
low, or using a motherboard that isn't as reliable as claimed when running
at the highest supported FSB speed).

There are standalone (run-from-DOS) memory testing programs out there as
freeware; one such program is in pkgsrc/sysutils/memtest (it creates a
dd'able 1.44M bootable floppy image).

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/