Subject: Re: Linux Word Perfect Office 2000 on NetBSD?
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/31/2001 17:24:08
Peter Seebach said:

>In message <200110312210.f9VMAEo06568@shed11.mcs.vuw.ac.nz>, Duncan McEwan writ
>es:
>>Rather than spend time trying to work around that problem we decided to upgrad
>>to WP Office 2000.  My strategy was to install it on a linux box and then copy
>>the files that were installed over to our NetBSD systems.
>
>Hah!  It's all Windows binaries that require Wine.  You lose.  Corel says
>"screw you guys, we hate Unixes."

Well, here is what I will try to do. I have three duly registered copies
of Wordperfect 8 for Linux running on NetBSD as well as the server version
of Wordperfect 7 for UNIX running on Solaris 2.6. The lady of the house
recently complained that she could no longer import/export MS Word .doc files
and indeed it no longer works on WP 7 or WP 8. Tomorrow I will call Corel
tech support and ask them about this problem as I want to upgrade Solaris WP7
to Solaris WP8. They are still selling Wordperfect 8 for HP, AIX, SCO, and
Solaris.

The problem seems to be with a conversion app called filtrix which is included
with Wordperfect. The filtrix app can be found at www.blueberry.com and sells
for $495US for the UNIX version and $189US for the Linux version. There is also
a downloadable demo version. The demo version seems to be useless for real
work. And I'm not going to pay that kind of money to import/export MS Word.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com