Subject: Re: thanks, modem help
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/29/2001 02:25:09
In article <MWMail.erftcldj@host.none>, Jon <jons@dotnet.com> wrote:
>thanks again, you guys are really helpful and it is so nice of you to
>take the time to help to help me.
>
>My next question is this.
>
>I have a modem connected, see attached dmesg.
>
>It is connected in the com port but the dmesg says nothing else, how do
>I know it has found it?

Try using it.

>Should there be something else in the dmesg?

No, NetBSD and other Unixes don't probe for devices behind serial ports.

>Also a guy from the list helped me out earlier with some config files,
>the file seems to idicate the device should be /dev/dty00. How do I know
>if it is? or what it is on if
>another one?

If it is connected to the com1 port it will be /dev/tty00 and /dev/dty00.
If it is connected to the com2 port it will be /dev/tty01 and /dev/dty01.
And so on.

I would compile something like kermit from pkgsrc and run:
kermit -l /dev/tty00 -b 38400 -c

and then type:
AT

If you see nothing try ATE1 or something to turn echo on.

[or you can use tip or cu from the basesrc, but they are less friendly]

>Thanks for all your help. I am learning so much.

You are welcome... Been there :-)

christos