Subject: Re: Trying to use GRUB to boot NetBSD 1.5
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/31/2001 18:57:14
Christos Zoulas wrote:
> >I've never used the NetBSD bootloader so that's why I wanted to preserve
> >my GRUB setup.
> >
> Probably GRUB does not pass the struct btinfo * that the netbsd bootloader
> passes.

Indeed. GRUB does not currently pass the bootinfo args, including
the booter root.

One way around this is to explicitly specify root in kernel
configuration (you'd need to compile custom NetBSD kernel for that
of course):

config		netbsd  root on ? type ffs

This would be enough to boot off first found NetBSD partition. If not,
more specific config like below might be necessary:

config		netbsd  root on wd0a type ffs

Another option is to use a chain load feature GRUB supports - if you
boot from disk, GRUB can be configured to load the NetBSD bootloader
and pass control to it.

The latter option might be a bit easier to use, especially since
you'd not need a custom kernel.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
NetBSD - just plain best OS! -=*=- Got spare MCA cards or docs? Hand me them!