Subject: Re: Installation boot diskettes hang, so do dosbooted kernels
To: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/30/2001 13:58:19
On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> >You could try disabling wdc1 in the CMOS settings. I have one
> >computer, a 486 VLB, for which I have to do that.
>
> I was going to ask what was wdc1, but browsed the NetBSD-INSTALL.html which I
> saved as a DOS-compatible INSTALLN.HTM, and it appeared to be a secondary hard
> disk controller.  But I have no such thing installed in the computer, and no
> such thing shows in CMOS, so I guess I can't disable it.  Apparently Linux and
> OpenBSD don't see this phantom secondary hard disk controller, maybe I could go
> through the dmesg again just to be sure?

I remember now... I have to use custom kernels for those two machines
(wdc1 removed). The motherboard has a second IDE controller with the
words "Tape"  stenciled near it, and no jumpers or cmos settings will
let either boot with standard kernels. They'd both hang just about
where yours does.

Frederick