Subject: Re: IBM Thinkpads w/ NetBSD (or other recommendations?)
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/21/2001 16:26:41
>>That's an XFree86 bug, not a NetBSD bug (see previous messages by me on
>>port-i386).
>
>Doesn't surprise me.  What's weird is, XF86 4.0.3 restores to console
>correctly on this machine, using the BSD/OS console driver, and XF86 4.1.0
>*doesn't* recover, using NetBSD's.  What I don't get is why it works okay
>on BSD/OS, also using XF86.

Some operating systems (most notably Linux, which is why the majority of the
XFree86 developers never noticed the problem) save and restore the VGA
palette when doing a console switch.  NetBSD doesn't.  I'd guess that BSD/OS
does (probably because trying to get all of the damn XFree86 developers to
fix their broken code is a tough nut to crack).

--Ken