Subject: Re: Installation boot diskettes hang
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/16/2001 03:43:49
Thanks for info on dosboot.

> BUGS
       dosboot assumes that the processor is in real mode at startup. It does
       not work well in the presence of MS-DOS extenders and memory managers.

I guess I'd have to load DR-DOS special without DEVICE=EMM386.EXE in CONFIG.SYS?
DOSBOOT, in my normal configuration, is intercepted by EMM386.EXE, and I have to
reboot.

LOADLIN is capable of running even with EMM386.EXE.  I guess LOADLIN has been
around longer then DOSBOOT?

> SEE ALSO
       release(7), boot(8), w95boot(8)

I won't be booting to or from W95 any time soon, but I noticed it was possible
to boot Linux, QNX or BeOS from W95 or W98, and so advertised on Web sites.  So
I guess it would be possible to boot (Free, Net or Open)BSD that way, too.

>scripted FTP.  Modem is 56K on 0x2e8, IRQ 5.  CPU is Cx486DX2-S at 66 MHz.

>You will need to build a custom kernel for the modem to work
>as is.

That shouldn't be needed for the initial installation, I hope.  With Linux, I
could make that modem work with setserial.

>I would go with the dosboot method or find a new floppy and
>make a new disk2.

I already made a second disk2, same results as the first disk2, even before
posting the help inquiry.  I guess I'll have to download the generic kernel or
big installation kernel for use with dosboot.

I formatted those diskettes prior to RAWRITEing the NetBSD images, concerned
about issues of shelf life for the diskettes.

I might also try downloading the boot diskette image(s) for OpenBSD, just to see
if it's bootable, not to install NetBSD from OpenBSD kernel.  I tried FreeBSD
boot diskettes, they booted but took something like 30 minutes probing my
hardware, and didn't recognize my Trantor T130B SCSI.