Subject: Re: IBM Thinkpads w/ NetBSD (or other recommendations?)
To: Kevin Lahey <kml@patheticgeek.net>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@mediaone.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/15/2001 22:17:56
In message <20010815161741.24557.qmail@patheticgeek.net>, you write:

-> I need to buy a laptop for work (my employer is picking up the bill),
-> and I'm still trying to figure out what to get.  The IBM Thinkpad X
-> and T series look pretty good to me, but it isn't clear to me that
-> they are completely supported by NetBSD.  Will the internal Ethernet
-> and/or 802.11 interfaces work under NetBSD?  I've about given up on modems,
-> but since I haven't used one in five years, I figure that won't bother
-> me.  What about audio?

I'll put in another vote for the IBM T-Series ThinkPads.  It's really nice
machine, the audio, video both work well after some tweaks (power mgmt in
BIOS to get audio 100% correct, XFree 4.1.0 to get video totally reliable).
I've got a bottom-of-the-barrel model (no internal NIC, only the WinModem)
so I can't comment on the internal NIC or wireless, but they are very well
made (this from people who destroy laptops for a living, like Jason and
my boss 8-).

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                  rafal@mediaone.net