Subject: Re: Install Problems
To: David Walker <diw@tpg.com.au>
From: Dave Tyson <Dave.Tyson@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/14/2001 13:08:07
On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, David Walker wrote:

>I have just installed the os and am trying to set up various features for
>example X.
>I have tried to run SuperProbe but get an error.
>
>SuperProbe: CONSOLE_X_MODE_ON failed
>SuperProbe: Cannot Open Video

If this is under 1.5.1 I noticed it and asked on this list if anyone
else had seen it before I send-pr'ed it. No one replied...  I stick in
a send-pr later today. BTW the superprobe from the 4.1.0 snapshot works
fine

>Wondering if anyone knows what these things mean and what I can do.
>
>I have tried running xf86config but feel a little unconfident about
>specifying my monitor settings due to lack of documentation.
>My Win95 probe tells me that it supports:
>720X400 at 70Hz
>640X480 at 60,67,75
>800X600 at 60
>1024X768 at 87 Interlaced
>1024X768 at 75
>although I'm not too confident in these values and they don't seem to follow
>any of the defaults in xf86config.
>My monitor is an IBM and I have never been able to find out exactly what
>model it is. I have done an FCC ID search to no avail and the model no. on
>the case bears no relevance to what's listed at ibm.com
>Nearest I can figure my model PC was sold with an IBM 6540 G42 monitor. I
>have loaded the device drivers for these into Windows which is perhaps where
>my Windows software is deriving its results from (from the device driver and
>not the monitor).
>This is why I would like to run SuperProbe, hopefully it can probe my
>monitor.
>
>I'm also a little curious as to my mouse. It's always been detected as a
>PS/2 under MS Windows but apparently according to xf86config this is not the
>most common type of 2 button mouse. I've never heard of any other types of 2
>button mice let alone anything more common than a PS/2.
>
>Does anyone know of a very easy guide to what setting passwords is all
>about.
>I read somewhere that when I first login I should type 'root' to gain access
>to everything but everytime I boot I get the recommendation to create a
>single user account. Wondering why and how.

Computing Services Dept         Phone/Fax: 0151-794-3731/3759
The University of Liverpool     Email: dtyson@liv.ac.uk
Chadwick Tower, Peach Street    WWW:   http://www.liv.ac.uk/~dtyson
Liverpool L69 7ZF