Subject: Re: Libretto L2 Boots NetBSD
To: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@soum.co.jp>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/10/2001 19:00:10
On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Masao Uebayashi wrote:

> Hmm, X is a very important criterion...

Oh, X works. Plenty of other folks have got it up and running. I'm just
waiting right now for a co-worker to finish installing the PHS drivers and
software for Windows ME, so that I'll at least be mobile. (I'm borrowing
a Card-H" 64K card* from work this weekend as I'm on call.) Then I can

> I hope all of sound, APM, cardbus work.  If this happens, Libretto L2
> will be the biggest choice for me too. :-)

Cardbus support apparently isn't present in the GENERIC kernel (the
INSTALL file is rather misleading on this point). I'll try out the
GENERIC_LAPTOP kernel and see what happens. I'll also drop the sources
on to my machine, but I probably won't have time to build a custom kernel
until later.

This, like most modern notebooks I belive, has APCI, not APM, which
we still don't have a proper support for. But I understand a certain
developer whom I am about to start bugging a lot is working on this. :-)

Sound, I don't know about. We apparently don't even have a label for
the product ("Acer Labs product 0x5451 (audio multimedia, revision
0x01)"). But yeah, getting at least basic 16-bit stereo PCM output would
be great. Combine that with a 60 GB disk upgrade (we've got 30 GB disks
now, so I'd imagine we'll have 60 GB within a year) and you've got the
ultimate MP3 jukebox.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>  +81 3 5778 0123   de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil
	    "The chain which can be yanked is not the eternal chain."

* For those outside of Japan, Card-H" (prounounced "card-edge") is a 64K
  wireless data service that runs over the PHS wireless phone network.
  Think of it as wireless ISDN.