Subject: Kernel support for SSE/SSE2
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/02/2001 19:09:28
Folks...

I have added the necessary kernel support for SSE/SSE2 to NetBSD-current.
Basically, the kernel needed to know about the extended FPU save format,
and initialize the MXCSR properly for new processes.

Note that ptrace(2)/procfs and coredumps will not contain SSE/SSE2
state -- we need to come up with interfaces to expose that information
(the same problem exists for PowerPC AltiVEC).

Note that in order to use SSE/SSE2, you'll need an updated assembler -- our
in-tree gas is too old to understand the SSE/SSE2 insns, but this should
hopefully change soon.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>