Subject: DSL or Cable Modem for NetBSD?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/17/2001 15:07:30
Are there instructions or comments anywhere about
connecting NetBSD to DSL or Cable Modem?

I'm leaning toward DSL, and searched the port-i386
archive for DSL as far back as January, finding naught.

I'm thinking to pick up an older computer, load NetBSD
onto it, and employ it as a firewall/router at my home. I
want to be able to dial into it from telephone, or
telnet (or ssh) in via the always-on web. Samba and VNC
look pretty cool. I really want to do something with both
of those. And in general, I want to get some on-line
things going so that I can play around with them and
learn how best they work, etc... I've a chance to
introduce NetBSD at work too, if I can get VNC online to
my four networked NT's via NetBSD. I've already got it
networked in (ping-able is all) and have a chance to play
around some.

But first I must decide upon an ISP, DSL or cable modem.
And none of the providers say anything about connecting
to Unix. Does anyone have happy/unhappy experiences
specific to NetBSD with DSL or cable modem?

Thanks,

Gan Starling
Kalamazoo MI USA

---