Subject: getting a label on a non-NetBSD hard drive
To: NetBSD i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Analysis and Solutions <info@analysisandsolutions.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/12/2001 14:19:36
Hey Boys and Girls:

Having a problem accessing my second hard drive.  Here's it's configuration:

 MBR Position    Type     File System Size in gb     Contents
 1           Primary DOS  FAT 32      3.5        Main Data Files
 2           Extended DOS n/a         6          n/a
                          FAT 32      6          Large Data Files
 n/a         Free Space   n/a         .2         n/a

I'm doing a fresh install of NetBSD 1.5.1.  Install goes fine.  But, I can't
get mbrlabel to write a label on my Primary IDE Slave Drive.  Here's what I
tried:

This is supposed to force an update:
mbrlabel -f wd1
   wd1: no disk label
   Not updating disk label

Let's try updating the "on-disk label if it has been changed:"
mbrlabel -w wd1
   wd1: no disk label
   Updating in-core disk label

Is a label there?
mbrlabel wd1
   wd1: no disk label
   Not updating disk label

How about updating "both the in-core and the on-disk label:"
mbrlabel -r wd1
   wd1: no disk label
   Not updating disk label

Hmm...  Maybe it did something anyway?
disklabel wd1
Nope, it's the fictitious info.

Should I put in a problem report?

So folks, any ideas?

Now, using "disklabel -r -R" does not seem to be an option.  I tried that in
1.5 and it clobbered my partitions, forcing me to recreate the drive from a
backup.

Thanks,

--Dan

--