Subject: Re: Sound Servers?
To: David Burgess <burgess@mitre.org>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/03/2001 18:07:56
On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, David Burgess wrote:
> There are a whole series of package in the /usr/pkgsrc/audio directory
> interact (usually favorably) with the built in audio support in BSD.
>
> Almost none of these has any relationship to "X".

I suppose 'audio/esound' could be considered a sound server, and it's
generally used in conjunction with X (it was written for Enlightenment and
GNOME uses it as well..)

Also, KDE 2 has a similar, supposedly more advanced sound server (arts,
part of x11/kdelibs2).

As far as I can remember, both of these support playback of audio over a
network.

Jared