Subject: Re: RAID10
To: dkwok <dkwok@iware.com.au>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/27/2001 20:02:09
"dkwok" writes:

[Just use regular text, please :) ]

> I have initialized all the raid disk and transfer from boot partition to =
> the raid devices, set raid to boot from raid sets. I have also changed =
> the fstab for the new raid settings.
>
> I have set autoconf for boot up as follows;
>
> raidctl -A root raid1 (my raid root file system)
> raidctl -A yes raid0 (raid swap file)
> raidctl -A yes raid2
> raidctl -A yes raid3
> raidctl -A yes raid4 (stripped raid10)
>
> Do I need to do autoconf to raid2 and raid3 in order to turn on raid4 as =
> stripped?

Yes.

> Anyhow I did that. But after reboot, it complains about raid4 not =
> configured.

Right.  Multi-level RAID sets do not autoconfig right now (it needs to support
multi-level recursion of some sort to do that, and the config system... isn't
quite up to handling that.)

> I reboot the system with all autoconf turned off. Then disklabel raid4 =
> says the device is not configured.

The best way to do the multi-level RAID stuff is to have the lower levels
autoconfig, and then just use /etc/raid4.conf to configure raid4 at boot.

> I have to initialize the raid4 again with raidctl -C /etc/raid4.conf raid4

/etc/rc.d/raidframe only knows about raid0-raid3.  If you need more, then
you'll need to change /etc/rc.d/raidframe  (it's easy to change.)

> raidctl -I 123455 raid4
> raidctl -iv raid4
>
> The interesting thing is raidctl -iv raid4 does not show any progress of =
> initialization and only takes 2 seconds. I suspect it is not done =
> properly.

'-i' "initializes parity".  Since there is no parity in a RAID 0 set, it takes
no time at all to initialize it :)

> However, when I do disklabel raid4 again after this, the =
> previously setting is back and raid4 can be mounted. What did I do =
> wrong?
>
> David Kwok

Later...

Greg Oster