Subject: Re: Stop implementing IPv6 before real harm is done........please
To: T@W <lsp93@xs4all.nl>
From: None <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/04/2001 15:15:30
> bits "fffe" in the middle -- the MAC address."
>
> See also http://www.epic.org/alert/EPIC_Alert_6.16.html
>
> So my  plead is : "Abandon IPv6..now!"

IMHO ipv6 is at first - stupid way to fix "lack of ip4 address space"
at first - more than 95% of ip address space is unused.
the problem is address organization. instead of just (for example) give
some big pools to countries (based of people count) like something/9 for
poland, something/9 for england, something/7 for russia, something/7 for
USA, something/5 for china ;) , and then divide them to providers etc.,
they gives very small pools (/16 AT MOST).

another thing is that "routers can't handle so large routing table".
false. there are already algorithms which works perfect with even 100000
entries. just routing software is primitive and has to be changed. not
protocol.

another thing is NAT. NAT isn't bad as ipv6 authors says. NAT is good as
it gives security.
just imagine every windoze machine with REAL world-accessible IP address
;)

the major change of ipv6 would be larger packet headers.

the plan of ipv6 address space division is stupid. 2^13 for major
providers is not enough as there is no definition of major provider.
it would be allocated not where it should, but where someone would be
smart and/or have lot of money.

address space SHOULD be allocated by geographical placement.