Subject: Re: mkhybrid and/or vnconfig problem
To: , <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ku.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/29/2001 20:22:26
A couple of comments:

 * I have not needed to specify the 512/556/1/1 parameter to vnconfig.
   Can you elaborate on a situation where this is required?  No mention
   of needing this is made on

     http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/bootcd.html#netbsd_mountimage

 * You point to the URL
   http://www.mclink.it/personal/MG2508/nbsdeng/chap-misc.html#AEN4052
   in your message.  In talking about CD-ROM file systems, the page
   says that a CD that is made with RR or Joliet extensions cannot
   be shared.

   In fact, I have made a sharable CD on which I have asked mkisofs
   to use Rock Ridge & Joliet extensions (both), and on which I have
   relaxed numerous restrictions in order to make the CD filesystem
   behave more like a normal BSD/UNIX filesystem.

If there are reasons why the NetBSD Guide says the things that it does,
perhaps the author(s) of those sections could clarify the pages.  E.g.,
when do you need to explicitly pass a geometry to vnconfig?  Why is it
necessary (and why does it work for some of us without specifying the
geometry)?

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu