Subject: Re: slow boot
To: Douglas Troeger <dtroeger@ix.netcom.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/22/2001 21:06:38
On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 10:31:33AM -0400, Douglas Troeger wrote:
> Two (approximately) 1 minute delays occur when I boot 1.5 on my
> Toshiba Tecra 510 CDT -- at
>
> 	wd0 drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
>
> and at
>
> 	wdc1 at isa0 port 0x170 - 0x177 irq15
>
> The system appears to be working just fine, but I have never seen
> a NetBSD boot take this long - I am worried that something isn't
> quite right.  I am using a kernel I derived from GENERIC.
>
> Is this potentially a problem?

Doesn't this machine have pciide controllers ? Maybe it's too old ?

Do you have some device attached to wdc1 ?

The 1mn delay is used by device resets (31s if we want to match the
specs - it seems to runs it 2 times here) but usually it's much faster
than that, especially if there's a device attached to the controller.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>