Subject: install report
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <collver@linuxfreemail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/20/2001 12:28:04
This weekend my wife and I installed NetBSD 1.5 on her PC.  Her PC is a
Dell Dimension 8100 and we ran into some hardware troubles.

XFree86 refused to use our PC's NVidia GeForce 2 MX video adapter.
The GeForce 2 MX is backward compatible with the GeForce 256, which XFree86
3.3.6 supports.  I couldn't find a good way to force XFree86 to use the
GeForce 256 code.  So I used bvi to twiddle the XF86_SVGA binary to recognize
the PCI ID of our video adapter as a GeForce 256.

http://groups.google.com/groups?ic=1&selm=39ED7A98.728957E2%40best.com

This PC has an integrated 3c920 NIC.  At first the NIC worked, but we
noticed later that at random, NetBSD would fail to set up the NIC when
starting.  The PHY would not be detected, and the MAC address would be either
all zero or obviously junk.  I read Linux and NT users also complaining
about this NIC.  We ended up disabling the integrated NIC and using a spare
I had laying around.

http://groups.google.com/groups?ic=1&th=1030ef98e509b072,10

Ben