Subject: Re: wsmouse
To: David , <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/18/2001 06:06:15
I've used a Microsoft ``Intellimouse'' PS/2 mouse for quite some time
without any hassle.  USB mice should work as well (though I've never had
one).

As far as I know, X _never_ has any special hardware access to the mouse:
It simply opens a named /dev special file, and interprets the mouse events
according to the indicated protocol.  For most mice on port-i386, it's
probably easiest to run the mouse through the wsmouse interface---though
the older access method should still be there, and I believe that serial
mice can still only be accessed via a /dev/tty0? special file.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu