Subject: Re: Athlon boards
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/10/2001 07:26:15
> The SiS chipset is interesting because it's really highly integrated
> and it's dirt-cheap.  It's a single IC with video, disk, and ether
> interfaces included.  Unfortunately XFree doesn't support the video
> yet and the ether is probably the fairly low-performance "sip".

This gave me pause for thought when I was considering buying a SiS
based motherboard:

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/syssrc/sys/dev/pci/pciide.c

Revision 1.94 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs] , Sun Nov 26 04:59:18 2000 UTC (5 months, 1 week ago)
by christos
Branch: MAIN
Changes since 1.93: +2 -2 lines
Diff to previous 1.93 (colored)

Don't try to use ultra-dma on sis chips with revision 0xd0. It loses
immediately with a lost interrupt on udma mode 2, downgrades to mode 1
at which point it silently corrupts data on high disk activity. This
happens on two out of 3 machines I own that exhibit high disk activity.

I didn't buy the board in question, so I've no personal experience.

Regards,

Giles