Subject: Re: This isn't very helpful on setting up a modem
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/09/2001 20:25:08
On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 12:40:05PM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Wed, 9 May 2001, Patrick Welche wrote:
>
> > (and for my question: does adding "noauth" to /etc/options/ppp avoid the
> > need for a secrets file? - trying to debug my dialin and make it as simple
> > as possible to start with...)
>
> No. "noauth" means the ISP doesn't need to authenticate to _you_. You
> have no control over what the remote terminal server requires -- if it
> requires PAP or CHAP authentication, then you've go to supply it.

I wasn't clear: I'm trying to setup the server side... Finally just replaced
the NT client with a NetBSD one, so things are much clearer now.. I think
all I need now is to sort out a route. I thought that before I was getting
stuck in the chap business, but it was probably just an NT prob.

Cheers,

Patrick