Subject: Re: Support for PS/2 esdi disks in bootblocks
To: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/07/2001 14:13:28
On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 06:09:34PM +0200, Matthias Drochner wrote:

 > -rename DTYPE_ESDI to DTYPE_ATA in sys/disklabel, keeping
 >  the numerical value (5)
 > -use DTYPE_ATA as appropriate in wd drivers and bootblocks
 > -add a new type number (would be 16), called DTYPE_ESDI,
 >  and use it in ed drivers (and bootblocks)

The wd driver, at one point, used DTYPE_* to determine if bad144 bad
block forwarding was needed.  But I see it currenly only cares really
about DTYPE_ST506 vs. DTYPE_ESDI -- so, maybe DTYPE_ATA does make more
sense for that.

The problem is the that ESDI disk controllers generally weren't compatible
at all.  What about the ESDI controller for my IBM RT?  It's just an ISA
card, IIRC, and in theory I could write an MI driver for it (not that I'd
want to :-)

Or, what about my Ciprico VME ESDI controller?

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>