Subject: Re: mount_mfs questions
To: NetBSD/i386 Discussion List <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/07/2001 11:22:56
On Mon, 7 May 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

# Though capturing a crash dump on such a large machine might be more time
# consuming than it's worth.  Crash dumps and savecore runs on even my 192MB
# machine are slower than I'm usually willing to tolerate....

Is there any effort currently underway to attempt to dump only the useful
memory state (the likelihood of having to dump the entire contents of
memory seems to be about half the time, if that -- if you're using the
machine to capacity, chances are you need to extend that capacity, if only
to give yourself some breathing room)?  [on-the-fly compression at crash time
would probably be a good thing, too.]

Just some thoughts; I'm not in a position to code it!

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD, Net Improvement.