Subject: Re: mount_mfs questions
To: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/07/2001 17:33:04
Steven Grunza wrote:
> 1)  When is the best time to do this?  In /etc/fstab or in /etc/rc.local?

fstab is probably better.

> 2)  How do I do this?  I've been trying various incantations but haven't
> gotten mount_mfs to work yet.  The man page doesn't have an example...

I have an old entry in /etc/fstab like this:

swap /tmp mfs rw,-s30000 0 0

This should do the trick.

> 3)  Is this a good idea or should I just symlink /tmp to
> /really_big_and_empty/tmp?  It seems that using MFS would result in faster
> process execution....

Yeah, this IS a good idea :) It would probably not help general
process execution, but things using /tmp (like compiles, sendmail
and the like) should see quite notable performance increase.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
NetBSD - just plain best OS! -=*=- Got spare MCA cards or docs? Hand me them!