Subject: Re: Athlon + VIA (was: Re: gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error)
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: Witold J. Wnuk <witek@pd37.warszawa.sdi.tpnet.pl>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/07/2001 11:41:47

> The problem is (as far as it has been diagnosed) in PCI DMA, not
> in the IDE part of the chip. It's just that the IDE controller
> is the most likely candidate to do busmastering DMA in the
> most usual system configurations.

From ECS K7VZA v3.0 motherboard BIOS release notes:

"5. Add a new item "PCI Master Bus TimeOut Control"to
                                       fix 686B ATA-100 issue"

And "PCI Master Bus Time-Out" option in fact appeared in BIOS Advanced
Chipset Setup. It defaults to 1 (32 PCICLKs) in both optimal and fail-safe
settings. All other features like PCI delayed transaction, bursting or
master read caching are _still on_ in optimal settings.

The setting is described in chipset manual: "force into arbitration after
certain period of time". Values: 0 - dissabled (default), 1-15 - time in
32 PCICLKs increments. I don't know what this exactly means (will it break
every burst after 32 PCICLKs?) and how this can fix the problem. Any ideas?

Greetings,

	Witold J. Wnuk