Subject: Re: Support for PS/2 esdi disks in bootblocks
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@mediaone.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/05/2001 22:35:30
In message <GCvont.2t1@tac.nyc.ny.us>, Christos writes:

-> In article <200105051859.OAA02968@doppelganger.waterside.net>,
-> Rafal Boni <rafal@mediaone.net> wrote:
[...]
-> >Hmm, that's a hard call... 700 bytes seems like a lot of bloat to add to
-> >the boot blocks just to figure out if those disks were on an ISA EDSI card
-> >or an MCA ESDI card.  I'd hate to force the case of having an ESDI boot
-> >disk to automatically imply it's hanging off an MCA ESDI controller.
->
-> I don't know why you think that biosmca.S generates 700 bytes of code.
-> Yes, biosmca.o is 704 bytes, but that is an ELF object!

I just took Jaromir's comment at face value, but...

-> It generates more like 39 bytes of code:
[...]
-> So it is really a non-issue.

That's great, in that case we can DTRT and not force non-MCA ESDI disks
to in effect be obsoleted.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                  rafal@mediaone.net