Subject: Re: Support for PS/2 esdi disks in bootblocks
To: Rafal Boni <rafal@mediaone.net>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/05/2001 19:17:29
Rafal Boni wrote:
> I don't think so.  My primary NetBSD box started out as a 486/33 with
> dual ESDI disks hanging off a ISA ESDI card.  And this was a plain ISA
> box,  not a PS/2.
>
> The disks have long since been replaced (since they could heat my appt.
> and made enough noise that friends mistook the computer for a small jet
> airplane 8-), so I'm not 100% sure if they were ID'd as generic ST506
> disks or as ESDI disks by disklabel, but it's probably worth a second
> look.

Hmm, true. Default wd(4) disklabel uses DTYPE_ESDI for disks
not identified as ST506. Perhaps a change to also check for
MCA bus presence would do? The assembler code for that check
would be next ~700 bytes however (slighly modified stand/lib/biosmca.S).

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
NetBSD - just plain best OS! -=*=- Got spare MCA cards or docs? Hand me them!