Subject: Re: VIA chipset problems - what is recommended solution / workaround?
To: Ingolf Steinbach <ingolf@jellonet.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/03/2001 23:17:25
On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 09:22:18PM +0200, Ingolf Steinbach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> with the computer I bought recently (before I was aware of the VIA chipset
> problems) I too get the "pciide0:0:0: lost interrupt" behaviour. See the
> part from my dmesg output below.
>
> What is the recommended solution or workaround for this? If I turn off
> UDMA via the bios, everything seems to work (but of course it's unnecessary
> slow). Is it possible to downgrade wd0 to an UDMA mode less than 5 via
> config(8)?

Yes, see the wd(4) man page. But this won't help you in this case.
The kernel isn't aware that your motherboard can do UDMA5 at the moment
and will use UDMA2 (that's part of the problem)

however in the dmesg I notice the kernel doesn't use Ultra-DMA at all.
Did you put flags to disable Ultra-DMA in your kernel config file ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>