Subject: Re: CS4236 on Intel PR440FX MB causes GENERIC 1.5 and 1.5.1 to hang during boot
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/02/2001 10:26:10
Quoting "Erik E. Fair" <fair@clock.org>:
> I put together a 1.5-release branch kernel without any ISA audio
> defined it in (just like the install kernel) and that comes up to
> multiuser with no problems. Then I compiled a series of kernels in
> an attempt to boot something that would both recognize the device
> and come all the way up (no hang). I tried:
>
> 	SB on isapnp
> 	SB on isa (with matching params)
> 	WSS on isapnp
>
> The upshot is that SB doesn't match no matter what I try, and WSS
> matches, but hangs. Here's the relevant section of autoconf output
> from the no-audio kernel:

Don't bother with the SB drivers. The card should work with WSS at isapnp --
Try playing with the 'PnP Aware OS' (or 'Using Windows 95' or whatever your
BIOS calls it) option in the BIOS to see if it helps. I had some trouble with
my CS4235B and playing with that knob fixed it.

Hope this helps,
Jared

--
Jared D. McNeill - jmcneill@invisible.yi.org