Subject: Re: moving the OS between disks
To: None <netbsd@online.no>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/01/2001 20:39:38
On Tue, 1 May 2001, [iso-8859-1] =D8yvin Halfdan Thuv wrote:

> I have the current setup:
> A PC with IDE controller with one IDE-drive, and NetBSD on that disk.
> NetBSD uses the whole disk (3 partitions, root, usr and swap). IDE is
> slow, and I have a SCSI2 disk that I would like to use instead.
>
> What I'm wondering about now is: Can I just make 3 partitions on that
> disk, e.g.: root 200MB, swap 128MB, usr 4GB, make the repective
> filesystems on those partitions, and copy the OS with cp from onedisk to
> another, and throw away that IDE junk once and for all?

=09Yes. cp on its own will not work - you need to preserve
=09owner, modes, setuid bits and copy devices.

=09dump works well for copying entire filesystems.
=09eg: to copy /usr to /dev/sd0e (from memory)

=09=09# newfs /dev/sd0e
=09=09# mount /dev/sd0e /mnt
=09=09# cd /mnt
=09=09# dump 0f - /usr | restore xf -
=09=09(answer y at end)
=09=09# umount /mnt

=09at end remember to run
=09=09/usr/mdec/installboot /usr/mdec/biosboot.sym /dev/rsd0a

=09=09David/absolute=09=09-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --