Subject: RE: recommended systems
To: David Woyciesjes <DAW@yalepress3.unipress.yale.edu>
From: None <wojtek@3miasto.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/19/2001 20:57:51
> -> > speed and can live with a maximum single disk capacity of 8GB,=20
> -> > SSDs are only available f=FCr some kind of SCSI (but for such a=20
> -> > person price must not be relvant)!
> ->=20
> -> what is SSD ? sorry if stupid question
>=20
> =09IIRC, SSD means "solid-state disk" Basically, it's a bunch of chips
> (similar to CMOS/BIOS, memory chips) in place of rotating platters, and
> moving heads. It's nice not having any moving parts to crash!
>=20
> =09I think you can figure out the speed increase/benefits. :-)
for such device i think another filesystem should be made (no problem if
file is fragmented, no sense for complex fs structures to prevent
fragmentation, read-ahead isn't good (does not save non-existing seeks but
saturates bandwidth etc.).

and.. i think i can figure it's enormous price!!! now flash memory is more
expensive not only than disks, but than normal SDRAMs