Subject: Re: painful (i.e. with data loss) crashes when transfering files (ftpd & samba)
To: Rogier Krieger <rogier@virgiel.nl>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@kpnQwest.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/18/2001 08:16:14
Rogier Krieger <rogier@virgiel.nl> writes:

> after installing NetBSD 1.5 on my old pentium machine together with
> the lukemftpd & samba packages, I experience seemingly random
> crashes and kernel panics when uploading files to directories/shares.

Are you mounting the file systems with the "softdep" option?  If so,
try not doing that.  I've seen hangs/panics with file system
corruption when using softdep on VAXen and on elderly Intel based
systems, in both cases triggered by heavy writing to disk.

-tih
--
The basic difference is this: hackers build things, crackers break them.