Subject: Re: installing NetBSD on laptop and disk geometry settings
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Bernd Limbach <BeLi@aventa.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/27/2001 09:07:28
Hi Manuel,

> > Q1:
> > Was that necessary to be able to boot NetBSD (see also Q2)?
>
> No it shouldn't, unless your BIOS is too old. NetBSD should be able to use
the
> INT13 extention which use LBA mode instead of C/H/S

To add some informations, I wondered that NetBSD told me yesterday, that the
its slice would be 14GB or so, which irritated me, but showed that NetBSD
was able to use that space. But it would overwrite my logical partition at
the ne d of the disk, so I moved that one again and was finally able to
install NetBSD behind that partition (@ cyl 1020 or so). No problems.

> Also make sure to install the NetBSD MBR (or better, boot selector :) to
make
l> sure you have an MBR which can use the INT13 extention and load the boot
loader
> past the 1024 cyl limit.

Ah, okay, I am already using a bootmanager called xfdisk, which seems to be
pretty nice, probably I will give it a try if this one also boots beyond the
1024 cylinders. It's booting NetBSD from a primary partition. Very nice.

> No, your BIOS seems to support 255 heads without problems.

pfdisk shows this, so it seems to be okay.

> The NetBSD installer should be able to create this primary partition.

Indeed, it does. I am booting with it right now.

Thank you Manuel!

Later more questions...

--
MfG, Best regards, Tchau! & Gut Pfad