Subject: Re: About NetBSD server tuning! - Suggestions gratefully solicited
To: None <sudog@sudog.com>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/26/2001 14:58:53
sudog@sudog.com writes:

> hello folks--so as my final bit I'd like to know if there are any
> other suggestions for pulling up the performance on my
> tens-of-millions-of-hits-a-day NetBSD servers..  Here's what I've got
> so far:
>
> 1. basic kernel tuning NKMEMPAGES, NMBCLUSTERS, etc based on avail ram
> 2. put most-accessed stuff on non-RAID partitions

If there are major performance problems with RAIDframe, I want to hear
about them...  Putting data on even a RAID 1 set should result in writes
nearly as fast as the underlying media, and for many reads, faster reads
than any of the underlying media could provide on their own...
(RAID 5 has it's own problems with "small writes", but that can sometimes
be overcome with appropriate RAID and filesystem tuning...  of course a lot
of this depends on the filesystem workload, but I certainly don't agree with
your claim that "most-accessed stuff should be on non-RAID partitions"
in the general case...)

Later...

Greg Oster