Subject: Re: Ethernet PCI 10/100 (and other problems)
To: None <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/24/2001 17:29:25
Thus spake Thomas Michael Wanka
> On 25 Feb 2001, at 0:43, Takahiro Kambe wrote:
>
> > And I think Intel(fxp) and 3com(xl) are better as result.  But I met
>
> I experienced Dec based cards from at least 4 manufacturers with
> no troubles. 3Com on the other hand seems to have different kinds
> of 905B cards where some did not work for me. The intel based
> cards I used were not bad but the did not "feel" good, do not ask
> me, I cannot explain it, there is no rational reason for that.

I am having the weirdest problem with two different 3C509C cards.  They
come up with different MAC addresses based on pairs of octets being either
00:00 or ad:ad.  Sometimes it comes up as 00:00:00:00:ad:ad then next time
it will come up as ad:ad:00:00:00:00 and another time as ad:ad:ad:ad:00:00.
Once in a while it is 00:00:00:00:00:00 and I have no networking at all.
It also doesn't use exphy which it always did before.  I went to a Kingston
card which comes up as tlp0 and uses ukphy and I have no problems.

Actually, this is all happening on a new system that I am just installing
-current on.  That was one problem.  Another problem I have is that the
X Windowing system seems a little borked.  I am using a Rage 128 with
32MB of memory and XF86Setup tells me that this is an SVGA.  I am running
it in 1280x1024 and I have 3 different problems at different times.  One
problem is that every once in a while text destined for one xterm will be
displayed on some random place on the screen.  Another is that sometimes
if I am busy in one window, perhaps doing a make build, the keyboard will
not accept input and characters get dropped from time to time anyway.  I
also see the characters switch to upper case and no amount of shifting
or caps lock toggling will fix it although eventually it seems to fix
itself.  Whenever I am having these problems I can ssh in and work just
fine.

I have switched motherboards to see if that would help.  I had an Asus
A7V and I switched it to an EPoX 8KTA3.  It seems to have helped some
(I no longer have a boot record problem that I was also having) but
this video stuff is still a problem and it had no effect on the 3C90C
MAC address issue.

And finally, I have an iBCS emulation issue.  I have a program that used
to work but when I run it on the new system I get the following panic.

uvm_fault (0xd3ddadf8, 0x0, 0, 1) -> 1
fatal page fault in supervisor mode
trap type 6 code 0 eip c02790a6 cs 8 dflags 10282 cr2 0 cpl 0
panic trap
syncing disks... 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 13 12 12 12 12 12 12
giving up

So how has your week been?  :-)