Subject: Re: Ethernet [MAC] addresses
To: Mark White <mark.white@st-edmund-hall.oxford.ac.uk>
From: Jasper Wallace <jasper@pointless.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/22/2001 17:44:40
On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Mark White wrote:

> Jasper Wallace writes:
> > > However, on pretty much every NIC around, this is just the
> > > *default* address for packet control; the address actually
> > > *used* for incoming and outgoing packets doesn't have to be
> > > the default hardware address.  Some systems (linux and
> > > solaris, in particular) implement an ioctl for doing so; you
> > > can do something like "ifconfig eth0 hw 00:11:22:33:44:55"
> > > in linux, or "ifconfig ne1 ether 00:11:22:33:44:55" in
> > > solaris [I forget the exact syntax].
> >
> > I thought (the ioctl at least) has been implemented in -current whithin the
> > last few months, there was some talk about VRRP at the time too.
>
> You can't remember the name of the new ioctl, can you?

The thread was on tech-net starting on Jan the 15th and continuing to the
17th iirc.

The subject was: Changing MAC addresses on ethernet inferfaces

you should be able to find it on the mailing list archives.

--
     "The aurochs was the great, black bull that was painted on cave
walls  alongside bison and mammoths  by tacky prehistoric minimalist