Subject: Re: Ethernet [MAC] addresses
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Rob Quinn <rquinn@sprint.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/22/2001 08:08:24
>> Can somebody enlighten me: is it possible to change the ethernet [MAC, ie
>> xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx] address of a network interface?

 Bug: "ifconfig -a" reports MAC addresses for each interface, but if you query
a specific interface ("ifconfig ex0") you don't get to see the MAC.

> I can't see the point of wanting to change this, but you must have your
> reasons... perhaps you can enlighten me on this one...

 I haven't looked at their latest product (which I understand does load
balancing), but StoneBeat2 used migrating MAC addresses to implement system
failover.