Subject: Re: Ethernet [MAC] addresses
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@dingo.ping.net.au>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/22/2001 13:45:01
On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 10:03:14PM +1030, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> Mark White wrote
> > Can somebody enlighten me: is it possible to change the
> > ethernet [MAC, ie xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx] address of a network
> > interface?
>
> AFAIK, you can't... MAC addresses are uniques numbers assigned to NICs at
> time of production by the manufacturer.

Well, the MAC address is usually stored in a PROM or EEPROM and copied
from there into the Ethernet controller chip.. and it is possible to
ignore the address and use any address you like, but .. there shouldn't
be a need to change the address.

(Funny, I'm just writing an Ethernet driver and typed in a test MAC
address 2 minutes ago :-)

  -jm