Subject: Re: Highpoint HPT370 IDE raid controller
To: None <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/19/2001 10:44:50
On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 08:15:29PM +0100, Thomas Michael Wanka wrote:
> On 18 Feb 2001, at 19:39, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> > Change the PCI_SUBCLASS register from PCI_SUBCLASS_MASS_STORAGE_IDE to
> > PCI_SUBCLASS_MASS_STORAGE_MISC I guess. This way it's not handled by
> > generic PCIIDE drivers.
>
> Hi,
>
> Promise has problems with Win2k, the Raid controller is detected
> as ide controller, and therefore it cannot boot from a raid. So I do
> not think it does actually change anything but is only to protect their
> raid controllers.

The best way to be sure would be to check to which pin the resitor is
connected. On the datasheed I have there's a pin to which a pullup resistor
can be connected, exactly to change the PCI subclass.
Maybe win2k does the same as pciide, which is to look at product ID instead of
PCI subclass for promise (and a few others) IDE controllers ?