Subject: Re: Highpoint HPT370 IDE raid controller
To: Grant Beattie <grant@grunta.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/17/2001 18:36:21
On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 11:26:36PM +1100, Grant Beattie wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I have an Abit bx133 motherboard which has a Highpoint 370 IDE RAID controller
> on it.
>
> With two 40Gb ATA/100 disks attached, configured in a stripe, NetBSD 1.5 sees
> the two disks separately rather than as one large device. The kernel boot

This controller (like most IDE RAID controllers) is not a hardware RAID
controller; the RAID is done in software (BIOS or driver).
I'd suggest ignoring the RAID function of the BIOS and use them as two
separate drives. You can then use ccd(4) or raid(4) under NetBSD if you
want.
Maybe it would be possible to change RAIDframe a bit to use the same on-disk
layout as the BIOS does, but I'm not sure it's really worth it.

> messages also say that the drives are capable of Ultra DMA mode 5, but using
> Ultra DMA mode 4 (is that a driver issue?)

Yes; 1.5.1_ALPHA runs at Ultra DMA mode 5 on this device.

> If I boot into Win2k, I see the device as an 80Gb drive.

Either Win2k includes the driver, or uses BIOS calls to talk to the drive.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>