Subject: Re: Highpoint HPT370 IDE raid controller
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kent Polk <kent@tiamat.goathill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/17/2001 16:26:56
On 17 Feb 2001 07:30:00 -0600, wojtek@wojtek.from.pl wrote:
>> on it.
>>
>> With two 40Gb ATA/100 disks attached, configured in a stripe, NetBSD 1.5 sees
>> the two disks separately rather than as one large device. The kernel boot
>i think netbsd does not support hardware raid on this.
>
>if you want to use stripping use ccd driver as it should not be any speed
>difference. stripping do not need any additional data processing (no
>checksums etc.) so any hardware assistance will not speed it up

Understand that unless the ccd driver isn't included in the install
kernel, you will have a bit of a problem every time you want to
upgrade your OS unless you make sure that your ccd partitions are
unaffected by an os upgrade.

I ccd-striped two 4.5G IBM scsi drives but boot off of a non-ccd
drive and I love the performance but since /usr is on ccd, it sure
is a pain to upgrade...