Subject: looking for subnotebook recommendations
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: David W. Talmage <talmage@ricochet.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/06/2001 23:38:00
What newer subnotebook computers do you people use?  I'm going to replace my
Sony VAIO 505 with something that is faster and has more memory.  I want to
run NetBSD on it, just like on my 505.

I'm looking for something in the three-pound range with a three-hour or
greater battery life, a PCMCIA Type-2 slot, IrDA, at least 256MB RAM, and a
10GB or bigger HD.  I'd like to be able to plug an external monitor, keyboard,
and mouse into it; if it has to be through a port replicator then it must be
possible without turning off the power.

This thing will be my only computer.  I'll connect it to the Internet through
a Metricom wireless modem so it will always be on the net even when I'm
travelling to work by car or bike.  When I get to work, it'll stay on the net
through the modem and though the company Ethernet.

I've found a number of computers that almost do the job.  They're either too
heavy, don't support more than 192MB RAM, or don't have IrDA.  In no
particular order: Toshiba Portege 7480CT, Acer Travelmate 350TE, Sony SR17,
Sony PictureBook C1VN, Sony Z505LE, NEC LaVie MX (10-hour battery life!
Imported through dynamism.com).